There’ll be a whole lotta shakin’ going on this summer in Secaucus as the town sponsors the 2013 Music & Movie Summer Series.
Deputy Mayor John Bueckner, who handles the summer concert planning, said the decade-long series has always been well received by residents.
“I think it’s a tremendous thing for the people in town to get together,” he said. “They love the entertainment and the camaraderie.”
The musical performances will begin on June 13 with the Fabulous Greaseband rock n’ roll revue at the Harmon Meadow Plaza, and will end on Sept. 12 with Radio Nashville, modern country hits, at the same venue. In between, there will be entertainment for just about every musical taste.
“We try to please everybody,” Bueckner said. “There’s such a cross section of people here.”
The rest of the Concert Series performances are:
• Saturday, June 22, “Shadows of the ’60s,” a tribute to The Four Tops, Xchange at Secaucus Junction (raindate, Sun., June 23)
• Tuesday, July 2, “Ragdoll,” a tribute to Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, at the Town Pool.
• July 11, “Bronx Wanderers,” The Four Seasons, The Bee Gees and others
• July 18, “Park Avenue,” a montage of exciting and memorable songs
• July 25, “British Invasion,” the music of the Beatles and other famous English bands
• Aug. 1, “Showstoppers,” children’s summer program, Performing Arts Center
• Aug. 8, “Hot August Live,” a Neil Diamond Tribute
• Aug. 15, The Cameos, oldies vocal harmony group
• Aug. 22, The Driftwoods, a Beach Boys tribute
• Aug. 29, Larry Chance & the Earls, the golden era of the 50s and 60s
The July 11, 18, 25, and Aug. 8, 15, 22 and 29 events will also be Classic Cars nights.
All concert times are 7 p.m. All dates are Thursday nights, and at Buchmuller Park, unless otherwise specified.
“They love the entertainment and the camaraderie.” – Deputy Mayor John Bueckner
For those seeking something more serene, there is also the Summer Movie Series, with presentations spread out amongst the town’s recreational facilities. The actual movies will be announced later, but the venues, dates, and times are:
• Saturdays at Xchange: June 29 and Sept. 7, 8 p.m.
• Tuesdays at Buchmuller Park: July 9, 16, 23 & 30; Aug. 13, 20 & 27, 8:30 p.m.
• Fridays at Harmon Meadow: July 26 and Aug. 16, 8:30 p.m.
In addition, a special presentation of “Jurassic Park” will take place at Field Station: Dinosaur, 1 Dinosaur Way, on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 8:30 p.m.
A special event, National Night Out at Buchmuller Park, will take place on Tuesday, Aug. 6 at 7 p.m.
There are numerous sponsors of the event. Platinum sponsors of the concert series are the Secaucus Reporter, the Secaucus Public Library, the Meadowlands Hospital Medical Center, Xchange at Secaucus Junction, and Hartz Mountain.
Gold sponsors are Florio & Kenny, L.L.P., Remington, Vernick & Arango, Kipnis Physical Therapy, Bowman & Company, LLC, and DHASIN Properties.
Silver sponsors are Chasen, Leyner & Lamparello, PC, Secaucus Mens’ Softball, Assemplyman Vincent Prieto, Take Back Secaucus, Otterstedt Insurance Agency, Rogut McCarthy, LLC, David Heintjes, McManimon, Scotland & Baumann, LLC, Bruno Associates, and Stan’s Sporting Goods.
Bronze sponsors are Biggies, Faraldi Group, Dr. Michael Perlman, Cross-County Cardiology, Allstate Insurance Co., Impressive Printing, R.A.C. Landscaping, AXA Equitable and the Secaucus Fire Department.
Food sponsors are Burger Stop, Lee’s Chinese Restaurant, China Chef, Filomena’s, Natoli’s Deli, Mausam, Due Amici, Panera Bread, Cheeseburger in Paradise, La Mic Cucina, La Quinta, Crowne Plaza, and Olive Garden.
Also, Embassy Suites, Bonefish Grill, Lorenzo’s Restaurant, Outback, Il Forno Café, Goodfellas, Wendy’s Vito’s Bakery, Plank Road Inn, Blimpie Base, Carrabba’s, Tadka Indian Cuisine, Cosi and Molly McEvoy’s.
The series is presented by Mayor Michael Gonnelli and the Town Council.
For more information on the Music & Movie Summer Series, call the township at (201) 330-2000.
Joseph Passantino may be reached at JoePass@hudsonreporter.com.