JP Morgan employee survived six-floor leap
Feb 14, 2009 | 3339 views | 1 1 comments | 19 19 recommendations | email to a friend | print

A Downtown Jersey City man survived after jumping for his sixth floor apartment on Tuesday, according to a police report. According to the report, Nishesh L. Sing al, 41, who resides at 280 Marin Blvd., which is known as Metropolis Towers, was found by a building security guard at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday in the building's parking lot bleeding from his face, upper arm, and chest, and with stab wounds.

The report says police in their search of Singal's apartment found blood on the bedroom floor, bathroom floor, and the victim's bed. Also, police found no evidence of anyone else staying in the apartment.

Singal, an employee of the JP Morgan Chase Bank in Manhattan, was treated for lacerations to his chest and upper arms and broken bones in his face, pelvis, legs and feet, and was listed in critical condition at the Jersey City Medical Center. Calls for an update on his condition as of Friday were not returned.

Police believed the incident was a suicide attempt. – Ricardo Kaulessar
Comments-icon Post a Comment
October 21, 2009
I am a very close friend of the person identified as having attempted suicide. I also spoke at length a number of times with the investigating detective who said that in his long career - where he's investigated many suicide attempts- none of them had the characteristics that this had: where absolutely no signs existed beforehand (doing well at work, no withdrawal from his close-knit family/friends, no money or personal crises, etc.). The detective told me that the only thing he could think of was that it was due to a bad reaction to the Percocet that my friend was taking for the pain after his recent knee operation. I then did a great deal of research, including conferring with a top mental health researcher/clinician. The result is that there are cases of sudden suicidal ideation and actual attempts from Percocet (it's not a common side effect but there are cases in the literature; just as there are cases of suicidal ideation associated with other psychotropic medication). I gave this information to the detective.

When my friend regained consciousness (they kept him sedated for the pain during his initial recovery), I shared this information with him. He was very glad that I did because he literally had no clue as to what happened and how the heck he ended up in the hospital (he said it was very scary to have a memory of being in your room with nothing wrong and then waking up battered in an emergency room). The good news is that he's recovering well and will be able to walk again.