BAYONNE - This year's flu season started earlier than usual, and the flu has resulted in the deaths of at least 18 children so far this winter. Hospitals are being more cautious. This week, Bayonne Medical Center released these restrictions:
Visitation restrictions will apply to:
• Any visitors over the age of 18 if they have been around adults or children who are sick with the cold or flu, have symptoms of a cold or influenza, have a fever or have had a fever within the past week or have been nauseated, vomited or had diarrhea.
• Children under the age of 18 from accompanying a parent or family member to hospital.
• Patients with serious comorbidities like cancer or other conditions like cancer, HIV should postpone visiting the hospital at this time. Visitors do not have to divulge their medical problems on arrival but the security should divulge this information to them.
• Only immediate family or designated support person
• No more than 2 visitors at a time.
- Restrictions are meant for safety of patients as well as the visitors.
- Exceptions to the above would only be for families visiting the hospital due to a mortality, and even then the above may be strongly urged to the family members.