HOBOKEN BRIEFS
Aug 05, 2012 | 1660 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
VIEWS AND SOUNDS – An overhead view of last year’s Mumford & Sons concert in Hoboken. Bob Dylan and Wilco are coming in July. Watch hudsonreporter.com for more.
VIEWS AND SOUNDS – An overhead view of last year’s Mumford & Sons concert in Hoboken. Bob Dylan and Wilco are coming in July. Watch hudsonreporter.com for more.
slideshow


Media reports: Two robbed at gunpoint

Media reports said that Hoboken police arrested two men and one woman for their alleged role in an armed robbery on Sunday, July 29 at 3 a.m. at Seventh and Clinton streets.

According to the reports, men from East Orange and Irvington were arrested for the alleged robbery. They were also charged with resisting arrest by eluding an officer, possession of a weapon for unlawful use, possessing prohibited weapons and devices, and for receiving stolen property. A woman from East Orange was also arrested in connection with the incident.

The two victims were apparently a 25-year-old woman and a 26-year-old man from Philadelphia.

Mumford & Sons Concert: no major incidents

City officials said there were no major incidents at Wednesday night’s Mumford & Sons Concert, an event that sold alcohol and drew in 15,000 people at $55 a ticket for a concert on Pier A.

Officers from the Hoboken Police Department and more than100 security personnel were on hand at the event.

Tickets to the event had sold out in roughly one day. The city negotiated to earn $2 per ticket.

20th Annual National Night Out scheduled for Aug. 7

The 20th Annual National Night Out celebration in Hoboken will take place on Tuesday, Aug. 7 from 5 to 9 p.m. on Harrison Street between Second and Fourth streets.

Hosted by Police Chief Anthony P. Falco Sr., the event aims to heighten crime and drug awareness, generate support for and participation in local anti-crime programs, strengthen neighborhood spirit and police community partnership, and send a message to criminals to let them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.

The event is dedicated in the memory of former freeholder Maurice Fitzgibbons. A brief presentation will be held to present his family with a plaque.

To participate, contact Sgt. Melissa Gigante at (201) 420-2100.

Wizard of Oz sing-a-long ongoing

The Wizard of Oz sing-a-long is currently ongoing at the second floor of the Monroe Center for the Arts at 720 Monroe St.

The performances will continue Aug. 8, 9, and 10 at 7 p.m.

Crowd participation is encouraged as the cast performs selections from “The Wizard of Oz.” Special “Over the Rainbow Bags” will also be on sale at the door. Those who dress in costume can receive a bag for free.

Host “Glinda the Good Witch” will test the audiences’ trivia knowledge of the film and award special prizes.

Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children and seniors and can be purchased online at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/259358. Free parking is available behind the building on Jackson Street, as well as at the Congress Street Station light rail.

For more information, visit www.thetheatercompany.org or email info@thetheatercompany.org.

Hoboken Historical Museum features new exhibit on social clubs

A new exhibit on the history of the city’s social clubs is now underway at the Hoboken Historical Museum. The exhibit traces the history of a wide variety of organizations (roughly 250 clubs) through the display of photographs, uniforms, medals, event programs, trophies, artifacts, and more.

The show will be on view until Dec. 23, and includes talks and lectures by noted historians.

Union City and Secaucus pools open to Hoboken residents

The Union City municipal pool, at Ninth St. and Palisades Avenue, is open to Hoboken residents Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 11: 30 a.m. and Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Residents can use the pool for free until Sept. 4.

Additionally, Hoboken residents may use the Secaucus municipal pool at a reduced rate by filling out an application. Visit www.hobokennj.org for more information.

Police raise money for baby who died after assault

The Hudson County Sherriff’s Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association was scheduled to host a fundraising baseball game on Saturday, Aug. 3 to help raise money to bury Damien Bruno. The 3-month-old died on July 31 after allegedly being pushed by his father against a window air conditioner while in the arms of his mother, Madeline Calderone. Bruno and Calderone fell three stories to the pavement when the air conditioner gave way.

Before falling from the window, Calderone and another woman were also allegedly stabbed by the baby’s father, Frederico Bruno, Calderone’s ex-boyfriend.

Frederico Bruno has been charged with the assault and attempted murder of the mother in the alleged crime, which has attracted national media attention. Charges regarding the baby were pending as of press time.

The fundraiser was to be held at Eighth Street Park’s Franco Field at 11 a.m. Money will be raised through donations from the participants and attendees, and from the sale of food at the event.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet