PSE&G’s unprecedented request to hike utility rates by almost $4 billion dollars won’t necessarily produce more reliable service during major storms for PSE&G customers. Only 39 percent might see less frequent outages or outages of a shorter duration, leaving 61 percent still in the dark during a storm like Sandy, and of those who will, perhaps by only a couple of hours. But 100 percent will pay higher utility bills for years to come.
AARP doesn’t oppose reinforcing our utility infrastructure. We support a system that is affordable, safe, and reliable. But because there is little to no evidence that PSE&G’s latest proposal can pass a commonsense cost-benefit test, AARP urges regulators to send PSE&G back to the drawing board.
AARP is working to ensure that ratepayers only pay for what’s needed and will work – and not a dime more. AARP devotes significant energy to important pocketbook issues. AARP fought for and won funding for the Senior Freeze property tax rebate program and will continue to push for full Homestead Benefit restoration. NJ's fiscal cocktail of the nation’s highest property taxes with the 7th highest electric rates forces many homeowners, particularly seniors living on fixed- and moderate-incomes, to make tough decisions between healthcare, food, or heat. Decisions no one in the Garden State should have to make.
Associate State Director for Advocacy
AARP New Jersey