Zimmer, St. Patrick’s Day committee still at odds over parade’s future
Jan 13, 2014 | 2701 views | 3 3 comments | 50 50 recommendations | email to a friend | print
HOBOKEN – Both sides in an ongoing debate over the future of Hoboken’s St. Patrick’s Day parade, a longstanding tradition which was cancelled for the second consecutive time last year due to safety concerns, reiterated their opposite stances on Monday, signaling that 2014 may be another off-year for the city’s Irish revelers.

The Hoboken St. Patrick’s Day Parade Committee, which has curated the event for decades, said that they are unwilling to hold it on a weekday like Mayor Dawn Zimmer has suggested, said Bill Coughlin, a representative for the group.

Meanwhile, Zimmer’s position on the matter is unchanged, said city spokesman Juan Melli.

The parade was a major issue for some voters in last November’s mayoral election. Fourth Ward Councilman Tim Occhipinti, who lost to Zimmer, promised to bring the parade back in a controlled environment on the riverfront that separated attendees hoping to consume alcohol and those looking for more family-oriented activities.

Zimmer said that the only way she would allow the parade to return would be to hold it on a weekday, when attendees would be less likely to excessively drink, in an effort to maintain public safety.

Public opinion on the matter is divided as well. Many of the city’s young residents say that they want the parade back, while some older Hobokenites would rather not deal with the possible fallout.

It is unclear if LepreCon, a separate bar crawl event unaffiliated with the parade, will take place this year. – Dean DeChiaro

Comments
(3)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
HobokenLeaks
|
January 14, 2014
The idea of having everyone gather on Pier A conveniently ignores the role of house parties, which are the biggest offenders and key source of flower pots thrown at public safety workers. Convenient ignorance is Tim's middle name.
truthmeter
|
January 13, 2014
Ongoing debate? The "debate" ended a long time ago. Nobody in Hoboken other than the parade committee and Tim Occhipinti is giving this the slightest bit of thought.

Tim's election performance - which consisted of essentially zero votes other than those delivered by his running mate Frank Raia - made clear the complete lack of interest in this issue among Hoboken voters.

recallbethmason
|
January 13, 2014
personally i found the parade and partying to be a complete cluster f--- but I am open to the idea of holding the parade on a Sunday. lets be honest, the party kids are not going to go crazy on a Sunday as they have to go to work the following day so maybe the city can experiment one year and try it on a sunday. in regard to leprecon, the sponsors of that event should be required to pay a fee to hold such event so it can pay for the extra police presence.