Anesthesiologist. Anesthesia Resident. Nurse Anesthetist.
Apr 30, 2014 | 2064 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
You (or a family member) require major surgery so you spend hours finding the most highly trained, experienced surgeon with great outcomes.

You arrive at the hospital at 6AM and while being prepped for the procedure a gowned/ capped individual introduces himself/ herself to you and says "I will be administering your anesthesia."

You need to know what kind of anesthesia you will be getting. "In general anesthesia, you are unconscious and have no awareness or other sensations. In regional anesthesia, your anesthesiologist makes an injection near a cluster of nerves to numb the area of your body that requires surgery. You may remain awake, or you may be given a sedative. In local anesthesia, the anesthetic drug is usually injected into the tissue to numb just the specific location of your body requiring minor surgery." *

And who will be directly administering the anesthesia? For example; an M.D. trained and board certified (or not) in anesthesiology; an anesthesiology resident-in-training; a sub-specialist such as a cardiac, neurosurgical, obstetrical or pediatric anesthesiologist; an M.D. in residency training in another specialty (e.g., general surgery, ob/gyn, dentistry) rotating through anesthesiology; or a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.

Talk to your surgeon about anesthesia options well before the day of surgery and discuss whether you should meet with whoever will be administering your anesthesia too. is always a good idea to talk to your primary care practitioner, the clinician who knows you best.

*Types of Anesthesia highlight and click on open hyperlink

Note: This blog shares general information about understanding and navigating the health care system. For specific medical advice about your own problems, issues and options talk to your personal physician

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet