Jul 23, 2014 | 2264 views | 0 0 comments | 47 47 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Compiled by Joseph Passantino 

Full of bull-ion; gold in sale not real

A New York man allegedly tried to pass off a substance as gold bullion in a sale to a local merchant, police said.

On July 14 at 2:07 p.m., police were called to a jewelry store on the 500 block of Broadway by the owner, allegedly the victim of an attempt by an individual to sell him bogus gold bullion, according to Police Capt. Walter Rogers.

The man was identified by Rogers as Behor Mushiev, 49, a resident of 71st Road in Flushing, N.Y.

“The victim stated Mushiev [allegedly] attempted to sell him three metal bullions he claimed to be pure gold,” Roger said. “He conducted a test and it proved negative as far as being pure gold.”

The jeweler had contacted another store in the area, and was apprised that an individual had also allegedly tried to sell them fake gold bullion and was similarly rejected, according to Rogers.

An officer asked Mushiev for identification, and he allegedly produced both New York and Florida driver’s licenses, bearing two different names, according to Rogers.

At that point, police requested that Mushiev return to Bayonne Police headquarters with them. An interview was conducted, and at the end of it detectives charged Mushiev with one count of theft by deception, one count of criminal attempt, and one count of false government document, the alleged fake Florida license he produced for the business owner, Rogers said.

Mushiev was released on a summons.

Light rail rider charged with assault on officer and fare evasion

A 17 year old was taken into custody following an incident at the 8th Street light rail station during which he allegedly struck a police officer, police said.

On July 17, at 11:37 p.m., officers working a light rail detail asked the Jersey City teenager if he had a valid ticket to be on the train, and he was allegedly unable to produce one, according to Capt. Walter Rogers.

“Officers advised the 17 year old that he’d be issued a summons for fare evasion,” Rogers said. “At this point, the train entered the station and officers asked him to step out onto the platform.”

At first he complied, but then he allegedly told the officers to write the ticket because he was in a hurry, according to Rogers, who said the youth allegedly stood in the train doorway and leaned on it, blocking the train from leaving station.

“Officers repeatedly asked him to step away from door,” Rogers said. “They attempted to guide him away from door. At that time, he [allegedly] cursed at an officer, swung his arm back, and struck the officer in the left shoulder with his elbow.”

The youth was then placed in handcuffs, taken into custody, and escorted to police headquarters without further incident, according to Rogers.

The 17 year old was charged with aggravated assault on a police officer and fare evasion, Rogers said.

The Hudson County juvenile intake worker was notified, and she released the youth to his guardian.

Dash for basketball leads to injury from bus

A 13-year-old Jersey City boy was accidentally hit by a NJ Transit bus after he chased after a basketball he was dribbling that bounced into the street, police and witnesses said.

The incident occurred on July 16 at 5:51 p.m. in front of 20 East 53rd St.

The bus driver said she was traveling east on 53rd Street when she observed a basketball roll in front of the bus, at which time she immediately applied the brakes to her vehicle, according to Capt. Walter Rogers.

“She [allegedly] observed a pedestrian walk in front of the bus,” Rogers said. “However she was unable to completely stop before striking him.”

Another witness, seated in the back of the bus, said she allegedly observed the pedestrian bouncing the ball on the sidewalk, losing control of the ball, and following it into the street, at which point he was allegedly struck by the bus, according to a statement taken by police.

The child was transported to the Jersey City Medical Center to be treated for injuries. His father was on the scene at the hospital.

At the time of the report, medical personnel stated that the youngster had sustained several lacerations to his head and a possible broken right arm, Rogers said.

No summonses were issued to the bus driver.



Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet