Home Letters Hoboken Letters On sanctuary cities and specifics

On sanctuary cities and specifics

Dear Editor:
Recently Union City Mayor Brian Stack and his Board of Commissioners made it official that the city now falls under sanctuary city jurisdiction. This is a way to boldly affirm that city as a welcoming city and by implication defy both President Trump and Gov. Christie for whom sanctuary status is anathema. And in Trump’s case, it’s seen as shielding the “bad hombres.” I agreed with the Priority Enforcement Program launched in July 2015 but a press release by DHS Secretary Kelly dated February 17 cites 75 percent “targeted enforcement operations” of criminal aliens. What of the remaining 25 percent? The press release mentions those “have been charged with criminal offenses” and that seems to me overly broad. A concern and at times, a fear, is that those who commit low level crimes will become a higher priority under Trump than those previously more relaxed enforcements that held sway under President Obama.
It would be a step toward transparency if the public knew how often local enforcement agencies have honored ICE requests of Forms I-247 N, D, X.
In the latter, Mayor Fulop’s Executive Order on Sanctuary City status moves in the right direction with Section 7 A-H stipulating record keeping and transparency regarding CBP, ICE, and USCIS enforcement in his city. I tip my hat to him for including that Section.

Very kind regards,
Tony Squire

Hoboken
overcast clouds
63.5 ° F
64.4 °
62.6 °
93 %
1.3mph
90 %
Sat
72 °
Sun
60 °
Mon
62 °
Tue
62 °
Wed
48 °
- Advertisement -

56FansLike
11,998FollowersFollow

Upcoming Events

Hoboken Scavenger Hunt: Hoboken Harbor & History
• 10/23/2020 at All Day


Hoboken Ultimate Frisbee
• 10/23/2020 - 10/24/2020 at 7:15 am - 8:30 am


Hoboken Scavenger Hunt: Hoboken Harbor & History
• 10/24/2020 at All Day


Hoboken Scavenger Hunt: Hoboken Harbor & History
• 10/25/2020 at All Day


Hoboken Scavenger Hunt: Hoboken Harbor & History
• 10/26/2020 at All Day


Current Issue