The Hudson County Community College (HCCC) Division of Continuing Education and Workforce Development invites the community to the HCCC Online Summer Book Fair now through August 31, 2020.
In past years, hundreds of community members have attended the College’s in-person, annual Summer Book Fair. This year’s virtual event will include many of the previous Summer Book Fair’s best features, including live storybook readings, opportunities to buy new books and art, and chances to become acquainted with authors and vendors. There is also a selection of free resources, including kids’ and adults’ books, art classes, live events and more. Attendance is free and the event may be accessed by going to https://www.hccc.edu/popups.
One of the highlights of the HCCC Online Summer Book Fair is Storybook Readings by members of the HCCC College Libraries staff and Student Government Association. Other features include:
- Sherrita Berry-Pettus is a mother, educator, and author of a collection of children’s stories, whose titles include Rock On with Your Afro Puffs, Smile Bright Chocolate Prince, I’m Brown and I’m Smart, and I’m Brown and I’m Pretty. Mrs. Berry-Pettus holds a Master of Arts in Urban Minority Education.
- Akim Bryant is the author of Stuck Pages: Vol. 1: Exposing the Heart of a Heartbreaker, a semiautobiographical work exploring Black and LGBTQ issues and experiences.
- Richard La Rovere Books & Art is a collection created by the Hudson County-based artist. Mr. La Rovere’s paintings feature natural and manmade landscapes of Jersey City and Hoboken.
- Laylani Crafts in Jersey City creates homemade bath, beauty, and aromatherapy products such as scented soy candles, soaps, skincare, and more. All products are natural and made in small batches to ensure freshness and quality. The company donates a portion of the proceeds from every purchase to Apraxia-Kids.org.
- KJ’s Adventures by Kevin Lewis is a collection of children’s books that teaches life lessons about responsibility, perseverance, and more. Titles include KJ Runs for Vice-President of His School, KJ Teaches Forgiveness, KJ Talks About God’s Creations, KJ Takes a Trip to the Wildlife Reserve, and KJ Joins the Junior Police Academy.
- Linzer Lane by Jersey City artist Ashley Lucas is an imaginary world of animal characters who live, work, and celebrate on a quaint, cobblestone street. Ms. Lucas’ products include custom coloring books, make-it-yourself fairies, dollhouse art, and children’s educational crafts.
- Melo’s Sweets in Union City creates customized cakes for all occasions, and family-friendly baked goods, including cupcakes, brownies, and pies.
- Donna Rega is an abstract artist, author, and photographer who creates sculpture, snapshot angles, paintings, and jewelry. Rega holds an Associate of Science in Applied Science from Hudson County Community College and a Bachelor of Fine Arts, Painting and Drawing, from New Jersey City University (NJCU).
- teNeues Publishing in New York City is a leading book publisher of photography, design, lifestyle, and travel, offering coffee-table books, calendars, and stationery.
- Tina & Kids Creations produces children’s baking, sewing, origami, sculpture, and other fun workshops. The company team includes Martina, Allison, and Ernesto Nevado.
- Serena T. Wills is a Washington, D.C.-based poet, author, and health and wellness writer who holds a Master of Arts degree in Health and Wellness Coaching. Her books include Crying Tears of Teal; Reconstruction: Pieces of Life, Volume I; Cornbread, Fish and Collard Greens; and Gumbo for the Soul: Women of Honor.
- WireSoul Décor was launched by artist Sabrina Scarpa in 2017. Her popular and affordable wire sculptures include depictions of shoes, floral arrangements, portraitures, and more.