Fatal Hoboken Chambord fire started at first floor shop

The Hoboken Chambord fire that killed two people last month started at a vape shop, according to authorities.

The Hoboken Chambord fire that killed two people and damaged many businesses in the Southwest section of the city last month started at a first floor shop, according to a preliminary investigation by authorities investigating the incident.

The Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) revealed that the fire at the building on Dec. 20 began at Glass & Vapor House LLC on the first floor. Investigators believe that the presence of flammable material in the business likely contributed to the fire.

The cause of the fire was ruled as an accident. Authorities are continuing to investigate the incident, with on the ground investigation having concluded since then, according to ATF spokesperson Angela Mullins.

“There’s other investigative angles that still have to be completed, whether it’s technical, electrical, interviews, things of that nature,” said Mullins. “Any developments that came from from the entire investigation still have to be explored.”

Two people died in the fire on Dec. 20. The first victim was identified as 60-year-old Rose Marie Vos; the identity of the second victim, a 61-year-old male, is being held pending notification next of kin. He has been identified by friends on a Go Fund Me page as Alex von Schlinke.

The HCPO are leading the investigation along with the ATF, who joined the investigation last week from a request by the HCPO, the Regional Arson Task Force, the Hoboken Fire and Police Departments, and the New Jersey State Fire Marshal.

A number of businesses that were located at the Chambord building have set up GoFundMe pages to help pay for expenses. The Hoboken Relief Fund is also raising money to help said businesses that were affected.

For updates on this and other stories, check www.hudsonreporter.com and follow us on Twitter @hudson_reporter. Mark Koosau can be reached at mkoosau@hudsonreporter.com or his Twitter @snivyTsutarja.