BREAKING NEWS: Fulop won't fun for NJ gov; will seek re-election as mayor of Jersey City
Sep 28, 2016 | 3329 views | 0 0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print
“Plain and simple, my heart is in Jersey City."
“Plain and simple, my heart is in Jersey City."
slideshow
JERSEY CITY – Mayor Steven Fulop formally announced his intention on Wednesday to run for re-election as mayor of Jersey City in 2017, and endorsed fellow Democrat Phil Murphy for governor of New Jersey. “I am excited to announce my intentions to seek another four years as mayor and continue to serve the people of Jersey City,” the mayor announced. “Plain and simple, my heart is in Jersey City, and I realize there is still much I hope to accomplish in moving our great city forward." Mayor Fulop said. "We continue to build great parks, hire police officers, create jobs and keep taxes flat and our hope is to continue that progress. There are few cities in the nation that can point to both socially progressive accomplishments and the economic achievements we have seen in Jersey City since my administration took office.” Murphy is expected to face several other candidates for the Democratic nomination for governor in 2017, chief among them Senate President Stephen Sweeney, who has the backing of south Jersey power broker George Norcross. The endorsement of Murphy for governor, the mayor said, unites most North Jersey constituencies behind one candidate. “I am proud to endorse Phil Murphy for governor and I believe he will be an outstanding leader and partner in the state house, advocating for the needs of the residents of Jersey City,” Fulop said. “With Phil and I coming together, we can bring all of New Jersey together, guaranteeing that the Democratic base seeking a change in Trenton will not be divided.” Fulop was first elected in 2013. Under his leadership, Jersey City has seen the largest economic boom in its history, with more than 10,000 residential units under construction and another 16,000 approved, including major development of the waterfront and in areas like Journal Square and Bergen-Lafayette for the first time in decades. More than 450 new small businesses have opened in the city and more than 6,000 new jobs have been created. While growing the city, the Fulop administration has also invested more than $6 million in affordable housing, with more than 1,200 units created or preserved across all wards of the city, including dozens of units for homeless veterans. Jersey City was also the first city in the state and the sixth in the nation to enact Earned Sick Leave, has been a leader in gun reform, and has developed a national prisoner re-entry model. All of these achievements have come without raising taxes three years in a row.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
West New York Police arrest man who allegedly threatened to blow up police station
Sep 28, 2016 | 2221 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
WEST NEW YORK – A 51-year old local man faces five criminal charges for allegedly threatening to blow up the West New York police station, according to an official release from the city. The city’s press office said that between 6:28 and 7:24 p.m. on Sept. 24 the police department received six phone calls from the same male caller using the same number in which threats were allegedly made to the West New York Police Department. The caller allegedly reported a bomb had been planted in the station. The caller also allegedly gave a false call of an officer being shot, the release said, and an investigation of the phone calls revealed the phone location and the name of the owner. It was also determined there was an active arrest warrant for the phone owner for contempt of court from West New York, the release said, and that person was located and arrested on the active warrant. While at police headquarters the investigation continued and it was determined that the person in custody was the male caller who allegedly made the phone threats. He was also in possession of the phone allegedly used to make the threats, the release said. He was charged with two counts of false public alarms, two counts of making terroristic threats, one count of making a false report to the police, plus the outstanding contempt of court allegation. He is being held at the Hudson County Jail on $100,000 cash bail.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Movie night in Guttenberg for Thursday, Sept. 29 cancelled
Sep 28, 2016 | 115 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
GUTTENBERG – The movie night on Thursday, Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. has been cancelled due to forecasted rain. The movie night has not yet been rescheduled. The showing was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows. The showing was for North Bergen and Guttenberg residents with free admission, snacks, and transportation at Waterfront Park on River Road.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet