The Bayonne Fire Department responded to and extinguished two separate one-alarm fires on Friday, March 19, according to Bayonne Fire Chief Keith Weaver.
The first fire was reported at 11:47am at 1102 Avenue C. Firefighters arrived to find an active fire in a dryer of a laundromat. The business is on the first floor of a three-story building.
Firefighters used a hand line to extinguish the blaze, which was contained to the business. Police and firefighters temporarily evacuated the residents of the apartments above.; They were allowed to return a short time later.
The fire was declared under control within 30 minutes of their arrival. A fire
investigation is currently being conducted; however, it does not appear to be suspicious. There were no injuries reported.
The second fire was reported at 4:43pm at 185 West 22nd Street. Arriving units found a 30-yard construction dumpster, alongside a home, fully engulfed.
Firefighters used hand lines to extinguish the blaze and kept if from spreading to the adjacent home. A fire investigation is currently underway.
There were no injuries reported.
“Our firefighters quick and professional response to both of these blazes kept fire from spreading further into the structures and prevented injury to our residents,” Weaver said.
For updates on this and other stories, check www.hudsonreporter.com and follow us on Twitter @hudson_reporter. Daniel Israel can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.