Police Beat
by Compiled by Dean DeChiaro
Dec 22, 2013 | 3015 views | 0 0 comments | 64 64 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Dinner party turns violent

A woman who hosted a dinner party last Saturday claimed she was assaulted by a group of four people after she chased several guests out of her apartment, a police report said. But neither the woman nor a witness could be sure that the four assailants were the same four women the victim had thrown out of the party.

Just before 1 a.m. on Saturday, police responded to a report of two women fighting at 501 Marshall Drive, a Hoboken Housing Authority building. But the victim they met on the scene lived on Harrison Street.

According to the report, the victim was apparently heavily intoxicated, but managed to tell police that she had been hosting a dinner party for four female guests when an argument with one guest broke out. The guest apparently punched the woman in the face which prompted a quick exit from the apartment.

The victim apparently chased the four women to the first floor hallway of 501 Marshall Drive, where she was allegedly assaulted by four people whom she could not identify for police. She was unsure of whether they were the same people who’d attended her party, and she did not know which way they ran after attacking her, the report said.

A resident of the building who witnessed the attack said she could not describe the attackers. The victim declined treatment for lacerations to her neck.

Vodka in the coffee shop?

On Sunday, a man allegedly fought a coffee shop employee after the employee asked him to leave because he was allegedly drinking vodka inside.

Officers responded to a 911 call from the Newark Street coffee shop around 2:30 a.m. on Sunday. They arrived to find one officer separating Chat Tran from an older male employee. The employee told police that he had asked Tran to leave because Tran allegedly began drinking vodka inside the shop.

Tran allegedly attacked the employee, said the report.

The employee told police that he did not wish to file a complaint against Tran, and police escorted Tran out of the shop. When Tran slipped and fell on the sidewalk outside, police called an ambulance to escort him either home or to the hospital due to his alleged state of intoxication.

But when the ambulance arrived, Tran allegedly became uncooperative and aggressive towards police, allegedly cursing at them and pushing one officer in the chest. When officers tried to handcuff him, he allegedly flailed his arms and hit his head on a wall.

Tran was taken to police headquarters where he was treated for minor cuts. He allegedly continued to act aggressively, attempting to kick an officer and kick the windows out of a patrol car when he was in the back seat.

Tran, 43, of Hoboken, was charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest and was also issued a fine for violating open container laws.

Man and woman say they were assaulted on Washington Street

A man and woman walking from the Hoboken PATH station to the woman’s apartment claimed they were assaulted by four men outside a bar on the 100 block of Washington Street, but a bouncer at the bar told police a different story, according to a police report.

Police arrived outside the bar just before 10:30 p.m. last Saturday night, where a woman, who was escorting her male companion to her apartment further north on Washington Street, told them that they were walking past the bar when four white men approached them and began to assault the man.

She claimed that after the assault took place, the men either entered or re-entered the bar.

But a bouncer told police that he had witnessed the incident and that only one other man had been involved, and he had not been inside the bar, the report said.

According to the report, the bouncer told police that the three other men mentioned by the women had been inside the bar and went outside when the altercation took place, but did not take part. They subsequently returned to the bar.

The bouncer told police that the bar has exterior surveillance cameras. The bar’s owner and manager agreed to turn over the footage to police, according to the report.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet