Alleged robber aprehended in Hoboken

Alleged robber aprehended in Hoboken

Hoboken police officers arrested a Jersey City man after he allegedly stole a phone and brandished a knife at one of the victims on Aug. 16.

At around 12:11 a.m., on Aug. 16,  Officer Kyle Seper and Sergeant Anthony Russo responded to the area of Second and River streets on a reported burglary and theft.

They were met by two victims, a man from Elizabeth and a woman from Newark.

They  reported that they were sitting in the back seat of their vehicle with the vehicle idling with its lights on. As they sat there, an unknown man allegedly entered the vehicle through the front passenger door and appeared to be startled that the vehicle was occupied.

The man then allegedly grabbed the woman’s cell phone from the front passenger seat and ran northbound on River St.

The Elizabeth man ran after him. In the area of Third and River streets, the alleged robber turned around and allegedly brandished a knife.

At this time, the male victim stopped chasing him and fled westbound.

Through investigation, the victim’s cell phone was tracked to the area of Seventh and Madison streets.

Officers were dispatched to the area along with a description of the alleged perpetrator.

Officer Joseph Spano and Officer Daniel Barron located a man matching the description in the area of Eighth and Madison streets.

Police ordered the man, identified as Jersey City resident Gerard R. Fleetwood, 36, to stop for investigation. Officers Tyler Soto and Joseph Lupo arrived as backup.

Officers found the victim’s cell phone case and a knife allegedly in Fleetwood’s possession.

Police advised Fleetwood that he was being placed under arrest, and he allegedly resisted by tensing his body, preventing the officers from placing handcuffs on him.

Officer Spano and Officer Soto wrestled Fleetwood to the ground. As they did, a second knife allegedly fell out of Fleetwood’s pocket.

Officers gained control of Fleetwood, he was placed in handcuffs, and transported to police headquarters.

At headquarters, Fleetwood allegedly refused to exit the back seat of the radio car, so officers carried Fleetwood into headquarters.

While in the processing room, Fleetwood allegedly continued to refuse directions.

Officers attempted to secure Fleetwood to a bench by removing one of his cuffed wrists, but as they did so, Fleetwood allegedly started to flail his arms, scream, and act erratically.

Officers brought Fleetwood to the ground and re-secured his handcuffs.

As a result, Officer Soto suffered a laceration to his right arm and pain to his right knee.Sergeant Saverio Binetti suffered pain to his left hand.

Soto was taken to Hoboken University Medical Center where he was treated. Sergeant Saverio Binetti was treated by an ambulance and sought no further treatment.

Sergeant Binetti returned to full duty with no restrictions.

Fleetwood was charged with Robbery, Burglary, Theft, Possession of  Weapons for Unlawful Purposes, Unlawful Possession of Weapons, Terroristic Threats, Resisting Arrest, Aggravated Assault on Law Enforcement Officer, Certain Persons not to Have Weapons. His charges were placed on a warrant, and he was transported to the Hudson County Correctional Center.

The victim’s cell phone was not located on Fleetwood at the time of his arrest. It was later located between two cars in the area of Eighth and Madison streets where Fleetwood was arrested.

Fleetwood is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

No posts to display