Discover how the Jack & Sheryl Morris Cancer Center and HELIX Health + Life Science Exchange are transforming New Brunswick, New Jersey, into a hub of healthcare innovation and economic growth. Explore the features, collaborations, and impact of these landmark projects.
Economic Renaissance in New Brunswick, New Jersey
New Brunswick, New Jersey, is set to undergo significant transformations with the construction of two major projects: the Jack & Sheryl Morris Cancer Center and the HELIX Health + Life Science Exchange Innovation District. These developments are expected to serve as economic catalysts for the city, offering advanced cancer care and fostering innovation in the life sciences sector.
Jack & Sheryl Morris Cancer Center
Vision and Development
- Initiation: The groundbreaking for this state-of-the-art cancer center took place in June 2021, marking the commencement of a visionary project in healthcare.
- Investment: The project, valued at $750 million, is a significant economic injection into the region.
Features and Services
- Facility Overview: Spanning 510,000 square feet and rising 12 stories, the center will become a new addition to New Brunswick’s skyline.
- Comprehensive Care: The center is designed to be a hub for cancer treatment, patient services, and research, featuring 10 laboratories, 96 inpatient beds, and a dedicated surgical services floor.
- Patient-Centric Design: With an emphasis on convenience and comfort, the center will offer integrated services, including advanced imaging, radiation, chemotherapy, and a wellness garden.
Collaboration and Impact
- Strategic Partnership: This project is a collaboration between RWJBarnabas Health and Rutgers Cancer Institute, enhancing New Jersey’s healthcare sector.
- Community Benefit: The center aims to provide top-tier cancer care locally, negating the need for patients to travel far for treatment.
HELIX Health + Life Science Exchange
- Historic Investment: With a total cost of $731 million, HELIX represents the largest investment in life sciences and medical education in New Jersey’s history.
- Multi-Phase Development: The project, consisting of three phases, will include lab and office space, housing units, and a range of amenities.
Location and Accessibility
- Strategic Positioning: Adjacent to Rutgers University and opposite the city’s train station, HELIX will offer easy access to public transportation and major cities.
- Integration of Sectors: HELIX aims to unite academia, public, and private research sectors, fostering a collaborative environment for innovation.
- Inclusive Space: The project will provide critical space for businesses, universities, and researchers to work and learn together.
Economic and Social Impact
Job Creation and Education
- Employment Opportunities: The development of these projects will create numerous job and educational opportunities in New Brunswick.
- Social Responsibility: The Cancer Center project has been recognized for its role in addressing social issues like job training and food insecurity.
Governmental Support and Recognition
- State Endorsement: Governor Phil Murphy and other state officials have praised these projects for strengthening New Jersey’s position in healthcare and research.
The Jack & Sheryl Morris Cancer Center and HELIX Health + Life Science Exchange symbolize a new era for New Brunswick, intertwining economic development with healthcare innovation and educational advancement. These projects are set to not only transform the city’s skyline but also its role in the national healthcare and research landscape, making New Brunswick a pivotal hub for cancer treatment and life science research. With their completion, New Jersey residents will have access to world-class medical facilities and a vibrant hub of innovation and collaboration, further cementing the state’s reputation in the fields of health and science.